Angels Dim Cubs Under the Lights at Diablo
Anthony Scull drilled a solo HR and a single, Luis Eduardo Rodriguez belted two triples, scored a run, and drove-in another, and SP Carson Fulmer and five relievers combined to spin a three-hitter, helping the Angels defeat the Cubs 7-3 in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game played Monday evening at Tempe Diablo Stadium in Tempe, AZ.
Jefferson Rojas ripped a monster two-run HR high over the LF fence and onto Westcourt Way to account for two of the three Cub runs (the other run scored as the result of a bases loaded HBP). The Cubs also stole six bases.
The games was called after eight innings of play.
This was the first night game played by the EXST Cubs this season, as the youngsters prepare for the start of the ACL season next Monday (the vast majority of ACL games are played at night).
With Monday night's blast, Jefferson Rojas is now tied for the EXST Cubs team lead in HR with Anderson Suriel (both have hit four), in addition to leading the team in hits, RBI, RUNS, and SB. He is also second on the team in doubles.
J. Rojas plays primarily shortstop (he has played 19 games at SS, four games at 2B, and four games at 3B, plus five games as a DH and one as a PH), and he has committed just two errors in the field (both throwing errors), none since April 25th.
Rojas is projected to be one of the top three prospects in the ACL in 2023, along with C Ethan Salas (SD) and OF Josue de Paula (LAD).
Here is the abridged box score from Monday night's game (Cubs players only):
EXST CUBS LINEUP:
1a. Ismael Mena, CF: 0-2 (BB, K, 4-6 FC, R, SB)
1b. Alexis Hernandez, PH-SS: 0-2 (K, L-8)
2a. Jefferson Rojas, SS: 1-3 (F-8, 6-3, HR, R, 2 RBI)
2b. Frank Hernandez, PH-LF: 0-1 (4-3, BB, SB)
3. Ed Howard, 3B: 0-4 (6-3, 4-3, K, BB, L-8)
4a. Adan Sanchez, C: 0-3 (E-6, L-8, K)
4b. Jairo Diaz, C: 0-1 (K)
5a. Anderson Suriel, 1B: 0-1 (3-U, BB, SB)
5b. Dilan Granadillo, PH-DH: 0-1 (BB, K, R)
6a. Christopher Paciolla, 2B: 0-1 (BB, K, CS)
6b. Geuri Lubo, PH-2B: 1-1 (BB, 1B)
7. Wally Soto, DH-1B: 0-1 (BB, BB, HBP, F-8)
8. Brayan Altuve, LF-CF: 0-4 (F-9 DP, K, K, 1-3)
9a. Christian Olivo, RF: 1-1 (BB, 1B, SB)
9b. Ke'Shun Collier, PH-RF: 0-0 (HBP, BB, RBI, 2 SB)
EXST CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Mason McGwire: 3.2 IP, 3 H, 3 R (0 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP, 1 GIDP, 6/2 GO/AO, 45 pitches (23 strikes)
2. Eligio Paredes: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 1 K, 1 PO, 4/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (17 strikes)
3. Mathew Peters: 0.0 IP, 2 H, 4 R (4 ER), 2 BB, 0 K, 1 HBP, 1 HR, 2 WP, 23 pitches (5 strikes)
4. Luis A. Reyes: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 0 K, 1/2 GO/AO, 17 pitches (9 strikes)
5. Gabriel Agrazal: 1.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GO/AO, 11 pitches (9 strikes)
EXST CUBS ERRORS: 1
RF Christian Olivo: E-9 (fielding miscue after line drive single allowed batter and two runners to score -- the proverbial "Little League Home Run")
EXST CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
1. Adan Sanchez: 0-2 CS, 1 PB
2. Jairo Diaz: 1 PB
WEATHER: Clear with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"