Restrictions on Outrighting PlayersRestrictions on Outrighting Players
1. A player cannot be sent outright to the minors beginning at 5 PM (Eastern) on the third day prior to the Rule 5 Draft through the conclusion of the draft.
2. A Rule 5 "Selected Player" cannot be outrighted to the minors until restrictions have been removed, and then no earlier than 20 days prior to the start of the MLB regular season.
MLB RULE 5 SELECTED PLAYERS ON CUBS MLB RESERVE LIST (updated 3-12-2021):
NONE AT THIS TIME
3. A Rule 5 "Draft-Excluded Player" can be outrighted to the minors only if Outright Assignment Waivers are requested no later than 2 PM (Eastern) on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series, and if a "Draft-Excluded Player" is not outrighted to the minors prior to the Rule 5 Draft, the player cannot be sent to the minors any earlier than 20 days prior to the start of the MLB regular season (same as a Rule 5 player).
MLB RULE 5 DRAFT-EXCLUDED PLAYERS ON CUBS MLB RESERVE LIST (updated 11-14-2023):
Michael Arias, RHP (see NOTE)
Porter Hodge, RHP (see NOTE)
Bailey Horn, LHP (see NOTE)
Luke Little, LHP
Luis Vazquez, INF (see NOTE)
NOTE: Once Draft-Excluded Player status is removed, player can be sent outright to minors even if he is injured up until 15th day prior to start of 2024 MLB regular season.
4. An unsigned player who is not eligible to be an Article XIX-A or Article XX-D minor league free-agent if outrighted but who would have been an MLB Rule 9 minor league free-agent (either a Six-Year FA or Second-Contract FA) if the player had been on a minor league reserve list cannot be outrighted to the minors after 5 PM (Eastern) on the 5th day after the final game of the World Series (or 5 PM Eastern on October 15th if the World Series is canceled) unless and until either the player signs a Major League contract for the following season, has his previous season's contract unilaterally and automatically renewed by the club on March 1st, or agrees (in advance) to sign a minor league contract for the following season (if the Outright Assignment is contemplated prior to a Major League contract being tendered).
POST-2023 UNSIGNED MLB RULE 9-ELIGIBLE PLAYERS ON CUBS MLB RESERVE LIST (updated 10-2-2023):
Miguel Amaya, C
Javier Assad, RHP
Alexander Canario, OF
Jose Cuas, RHP
Miles Mastrobuoni, INF
Christopher Morel, INF-OF
Keegan Thompson, RHP
5. If a player accrues at least one day of MLB Service Time in a season and then is outrighted to the minors prior to being tendered a Major League contract for the following season, the player's minor league monthly salary for the following season must be at least 80% of his final monthly salary from the previous season.