Cubs Pitchers Too Wild & Cubs Bats Too Quiet at Fitch Park
Angel Arevalo reached base four times (a double and three walks), stole a base, and scored two runs, Luis Freitez singled twice, scored a run, and drove-in another, and Derek Chorro hurled four innings of no run / no hit ball in relief, as the Athletics took advantage of nine walks, a HBP, and four WP to edge the Cubs 4-3 in a Cactus League Extended Spring Training game played Saturday morning at the Lew Wolff Training Complex at Fitch Park in Mesa, AZ.
The Cubs managed only three hits in the game, the most noteworthy one being an RBI double by Adan Sanchez in the top of the 1st inning (when the Cubs scored two runs and collected two of their three hits).
The game was called after seven innings of play.
Here is the abridged box score from the game (Cubs players only)
EXST CUBS LINEUP:
1. Alexis Hernandez, 2B: 1-3 (1B, K, HBP, 6-3, R, SB)
2. Geuri Lubo, SS: 0-3 (K, F-8, K)
3. Christopher Paciolla, 3B: 0-2 (BB, 6-3, 5-3, R)
4. Adan Sanchez, DH; 1-3 (2B, 5-3, K, RBI)
5a. Jairo Diaz, C: 0-1 (F-7 SF, 6-3, RBI)
5b. Wally Soto, C: 0-1 (P-3)
6a. Anderson Suriel, LF: 0-2 (K, 1-3)
6b. Raino Coran, RF: 0-1 (F-8)
7a. Christian Olivo, CF: 0-2 (F-9, F-8)
7b. Ke'Shun Collier, CF: 0-1 (4-3)
8. Ismael Mena, RF-LF: 1-2 (K, HBP, 1B+E1, R, SB)
9a. Lizardo Ruiz, 1B: 0-2 (4-3, K)
9b. Frank Hernandez, 1B: 0-0 (BB)
EXST CUBS PITCHERS:
1. Freilyn Silverio: 2.0 IP, 4 H, 2 R (2 ER), 3 BB, 5 K, 2 WP, 1/0 GO/AO, 59 pitches (30 strikes)
2. Danis Correa: 1.0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 0/1 GO/AO, 11 pitches (8 strikes)
3. Zac Leigh: 1.2 IP, 1 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 3 K, 2 WP, 1 GIDP, 1/0 GO/AO, 37 pitches (18 strikes)
4. Carlos Garcia: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 1 R (1 ER), 3 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 3/1 GO/AO, 38 pitches (18 strikes)
EXST CUBS ERRORS: 1
LF Anderson Suriel: E-7 (errant throw to 2nd base after double into LF corner allowed batter to advance to 3rd)
EXST CUBS CATCHERS DEFENSE:
Jairo Diaz: 0-2 CS
WEATHER: Sunny with temperatures in the 90's
"Just because it isn't official doesn't mean it didn't happen"